Top 5 Songs (Week Starting 15/06)

Is it bad that I have to count backwards on my fingers to figure out what date this week started on? Anyway, here we are on my 10th song list! I've been doing some calculations and I've decided that I couldn't have possibly chosen a better week to celebrate this blog, it's amazing.

Also, before I begin this week, I'd like to announce my 8th follower! I was exited when I recieved the seventh (Jazmine you won't be pushed to the side because of this) but now I'm practically wetting myself with joy, in the manliest possible way of course. Thank you Ant, you've made this soldier happy again.

So cracking on, here are my top five songs for this week. Take a closer look when you're done, you'll notice that the bands are in alphabetical order (my playlist ignores "the"), I have trouble taking it seriously :p

5. Papercut Skin - The Matches

I adore The Matches, they used to be my favourite band, I had all their albums and everything. Needless to say, I moved on and they released a third album (I still think their first is the best). This is track 3 on album 2 (yes, I know it off by heart) and to be honest, it's not my favourite song by them, possibly on that album, but not in total. However, it's been the song i've heard most this week and so it narrowly squeezed in at five. Apparently it's about routine, and trying to make money, simple as. Some of the lines are really clever. Take a look.

Good lyrics: "Day out, day in
It's the alarm versus me
and the snooze button wins."

"Cash out, cash in
I can burn all I earn
on some weakness or whim
without thinking
I'm a mark for their marketing plans
I'm Americancer
A Myspace romancer"

"Give out, give in
If a man's hands show his trade does it suit me then
This papercut skin that makes me wince with each hand
I'm required to
shake, shake, shake, shake"

"[Chorus]
Day out, day in
recycle bins
cash out cash in
debit pins
Day out, day in
the paper cuts my skin again
skin again"

4. Helena - My Chemical Romance

99% of the people reading this blog will have heard this song, (maybe not Eleanor,) it's legendary. Certainly among the best on their best album in my opinion and by far their best video (don't argue with that). It's about Gerrard's grandma passing away, you can feel the emotion seeping from the song. I love the effect it gives off, it's just so powerful! Gets me everytime, if there was any song on this list I'd predict seeing here again, it'd be this one.

Good lyrics: "[Chorus]
What's the worst that I could say
Things are better if I stay
So long and goodnight
So long and goodnight
And if you carry on this way
Things are better if I stay
So long and goodnight
So long and goodnight"

3. For What It's Worth - Placebo

What the hell?! Placebo on MY list?! Yes it's true, I despise the guy's voice, it annoys me so much. The reason I like this tune is because the tune really makes up for what his voice does to my blood pressure, almost transforms it. It's so lively, I was shocked when i heard it. My favourite bit is the bit after the second chorus, with the little dinky tune *plays just after I write it* (yes, I do listen to the songs while I write about them:p). Awesome.

Good Lyrics: Ok, there are none, but the tune rocks, I promise.

2. Which to Bury, Us Or the Hatchet? - Relient K

Yes, they're back AGAIN, this song's moved up ONE PLACE from last week (woo!). I don't really need to post much about it because it's back, but the question remains, for how much longer will Relient K shove my beloved Madina Lake out of the way on my lists?! We'll find out who's actually winning soon...

1. The Bird and the Worm - The Used

Yes, you didn't think i was telling the truth about the letters did you? Go and check again, just in case :p I think four out of five new bands on my 10th list is pretty impressive. It's just when you think I'm settled, I suddenly bix things up a mit (couldn't resist:p)

The intro to this tune is so delightfully quirky that you just can't ignore the rest. The delivery of lyrics kind of add to the quirkyness, but all in all, it creates a song that isn't quirky, it creates a song that's AMAZING! The chorus is so powerful, it hits me pretty hard. the verses and lyrics in general sort of twist your musical imagination. It's amazing when you think about it. I found some really interesting meanings when I was checking out the sites for this song. Personally I agree that the person's trying to escape from himself (which is why his escape seems so slow and pointless "crawls like a worm from a bird"). However, check this meaning out:

"The more I listen to it, the more I feel it is about domestic violence from the abusee's point of view. "The Stranger's looks" could possibly be the public seeing the abusee's bruises and marks. He hangs on to his backpack as a focus of escape (his heart). When he sings about someone being "out of their mind" and "terrified of what's inside" it may be of the abuser and how he never knows what to expect from him/her. "To save his life, he Crawls like a worm" reminds me of escaping to dark place, like a closet. "All alone," in the closet, "He turns to stone," holds as still as possible, "holding his breath half to death," trying not to breathe to not be found. When he arives at home, the abuser remind him he is all alone (the deep, terrifying voice in the background)."

It's interesting how each person interperets a song isn't it? I'd love to see your comments about the songs I post on here. It'd be good =D

"He wears his heart safety-pinned to his backpack
His backpack is all that he knows
Shot down by strangers
whose glances can cripple the heart
and devour the soul

All alone he turns to stone
While holding his breath half to death
Terrified of what's inside
To save his life
He crawls like a worm from a bird

(all alone) Crawls like a worm from a bird

Out of his mind the way pushes him, whispering
Must have been out of his mind
Midday delusions of pushing this out of his head
Make him out of his mind (out of his mind)

All alone he turns to stone
While holding his breath half to death
Terrified of what's inside
To save his life
He crawls like a worm, crawls like a worm from a bird

(all alone) Crawls like worm from a bird (x2)
(all alone) crawls like a worm, crawls like a worm from a bird

All he knows
If he can't relieve it, it grows
And so it goes
He crawls like a worm, crawls like a worm from a bird

Out of his mind the way pushes him, whispering
Must have been out of his mind

All alone he turns to stone
While holding his breath half to death
Terrified of what's inside
To save his life
He crawls like a worm from a bird

All alone he's holding his breath half to death
Terrified to save his life
He crawls like a worm, crawls like a worm from a bird

(all alone) Crawls like worm from a bird (x2)
(all alone) crawls like a worm, crawls like a worm, crawls like a worm from a bird"

0 comments:

Post a Comment