Story Time!

Sorry I've not posted in two whole days, but you're in for a treat, I promise. I wrote this story last year for my english coursework, and it's the best thing I've ever written, I think it's an A*. It's a story that's become very close to me and I love it to bits, so here's the first part, just for you guys.


Help (part 1)
Help: everybody needs it at some point in their life. That’s where I come in. I help people, and I don’t want to sound conceited or anything, but I’m pretty good at it. It’s fairly basic really, relationship problems, sexually confused boys, girls with “boy troubles”, you get the point, but the holidays are usually a quiet time of the year for that kind of thing, I mean, a phone call was a rare occasion in itself. But I did receive one...
“Robert? Is that you? It’s Jenny’s mum, she’s had a bit of an accident and wants to see you; can you afford the bus to the hospital? Good, I’ll see you there, thanks.”

It was nice to feel wanted for once. I mean as a friend, not as “The Helper” or “The Clever Guy”. This was week four in the holiday, or the third, I’d lost count by then, it was just over halfway through, and as usual, it hadn’t been very eventful. I leant my head on the bus window, as this was where I was while these thoughts passed through my head, then hastily took it off as the bus clambered over a speed bump. The next thought that passed through my head was one word, a word that meant a thousand. Jennifer.

I hadn’t known Jennifer as long as a lot of my friends: about six months, but I knew her as well as most of them, if not better than. She cared about the way I thought of myself and others, and she wanted to try and understand how my mind worked. I’d often step back from myself and say “boring!” but she always said otherwise. She gave me all I ever wanted from a friend, but she lived on the other side of town and we were both short of money eighty percent of the time, so we didn’t see that much of each other. The worst part was that she looked amazing as well, which threw me right out of the boyfriend picture, so I kept that kind of thing well away from the friendship we had.

As I dismounted the bus, Jennifer’s mum was already outside waiting for me. She was smiling, so it couldn’t be all bad. It might have just been because I made the effort to get there. Good friends do that, but you don’t find many people like that these days. She liked me, I know she did, all parents like me, and what’s not to like? I get the grades, I’m lacking in looks, and I make the effort to see her, no danger to Jen at all.
“Thanks for coming, I really appreciate it. I’ll take you up, Jenny will be so pleased that you came,” she flashed another dazzling smile, I think she was a beautician or something, I couldn’t really remember. Something involving nails? That mystery held my thoughts until we arrived at Jennifer’s ward, where my thoughts turned to her.

When I first saw her she looked quite alien, I don’t mean her face or anything, that was just as beautiful as ever. I’m talking about the arm in the cast; it was something that didn’t suit her, she was always so careful that it just wasn’t expected.
“Alright Jen? How do you feel today?” I said, taking a seat next to her,
“I’m okay, a bit itchy though,” she was always the one to point out the greater things in life,
“Aww” I said, stroking her hair, “What happened?”
“I fell down the stairs. Apparently I’m lucky my neck’s still in place,” her mum walked away, satisfied with the reunion,
“That could have been gorey,” I joked, “Can I have first sign?”
“Yeah…Robert?” Her face drifted, “Can I tell you something?”
“Of course you can, you know that,”
“I tried to kill myself.”

Silence.

Part 2

0 comments:

Post a Comment