Story Time! (Part 2)

“Why didn’t you come to me?” I said it cautiously, unknowing of the answer,
“I wasn’t thinking, I’ve been speaking to these people…and it just all flashed in front of me, and I just…jumped.” She looked close to tears,
“Smooth… so this is why you want me here?”
“kind of, I don’t want help, I just realized that you’re the only guy that really cares about me, you really make my life better,” she smiled, “You got me away from the drugs my ex got me into, then you got my pregnancy test for me, and you’re always there for me when I need you,”
“You make me sound quite manipulative really,” I thought out loud
“It’s a good thing,” then she laughed. That was when it came to me, I could do this.
“Okay, I’ve got a plan,” I always had a plan,
“You always have a plan,” she replied. Suddenly, I became serious.
“I’ll keep you alive, I’ll keep you alive if it kills me, I promise.”
She looked into my eyes carefully; she knew that they changed minds,
“Okay…I want you to pick me up tomorrow, midday.”
“Good idea,”
“Thanks.”

We talked for sometime after that, but the subject was still on my mind, it wouldn’t leave, not on the way home, not during dinner, not while lying in bed. What would I do without a friend like her? I couldn’t imagine life without her! What could I do to show her that life’s worth living? It was so much more than anything I had ever dealt with, I knew that. I also knew that I needed help, but I couldn’t let anyone else know.

The next morning I returned to the hospital. Admittedly, I looked like something from “night of the living dead”, I was rarely seen during a morning because I’d much rather be curled up in bed. Alas, I dug my alarm clock out of my brothers toy box (how it got there I don’t want to know) and set it to 9:30, a time unknown to me. Anyway, I was early, so I went up to find her.

After walking past her ward twice, I eventually found her wrestling with a long, stripy sock, she stopped and looked up,
“Do you need any help with that?” I asked. If there was anything I hated, it was seeing people struggle,
“Yes please,” she’d been crying, it’s just something you pick up when dealing with lots of girls. I walked over and pulled up her sock,
“You know, I’ve never understood how you girls have such long socks and yet you’re always so bloody cold,”
She laughed,
“We aren’t cold, you’re just bloody warm!”
“Whatever!” I replied. After a good giggle, she held out her hand and I helped her up.

I think she needed to sign out or something, I wasn’t really paying attention, I was concentrating more on her cast, it was obviously causing her trouble. She must’ve felt pretty restricted in absolutely everything without use of an entire arm. You’ll learn that I think a little too much in my life, however, for those who’d like to know what Jen did, I remember her speaking to a doctor, who led us somewhere where he and her signed some stuff, he then proceeded to share a joke about us being an item, and showed us the exit, where we then stood and waited for the bus back to her house.

Part 3

0 comments:

Post a Comment